Sunday, March 27, 2011

3/27/11: Mommy Guilt and the Green Shirt

Ok, Mommy Guilt is something we all feel at one time or another. For me it was most recently due to St. Patrick's Day. I looked quickly in both kids closets remembering it was St. Patrick's Day and checked for any Green. I didn't really find anything in Evan's closet so I put out a purple shirt and pants. At the time I did not know I would regret this decision so much later on.

Apparently St. Patrick's Day is a bigger deal than I thought at school. Heck we aren't even Irish. My husband is Italian and I am Portuguese. Yes we do eat Corned Beef and Cabbage at my Mom and Dad's house each year but this makes us far from Irish. Anyways, I digress. So Evan comes home and explains he was the only one not wearing Green and was made fun of by his friends. He goes on to state that even his teacher had Green on and he did not. He was not pleased with me at all. What really makes it sad is that he then asked my Mom, "Nana all I want for Christmas is a Green shirt to wear for St. Patrick's Day". Oh my! When a green shirt wins out over a Thomas Train or other toy that is sad.

Well I guess I have to accept (and so does he) that we are all human and make mistakes. I said it in my Slacker Mom post also. In my defense, or maybe why he reacted this way, I am the one to always have a matching outfit to whatever we are going to. If it is Toy Story 3 on Ice of course they have Jessie and Woody. If it is Day Out With Thomas, of course it is a Thomas Shirt. And of course in Disney World it is Disney Clothes.

So why oh why did I not search a bit harder and look for a Green Shirt, this question I will ask myself many times. Such a little thing for me, but so important to him. Live and Learn.

1 comment:

John Aliberti said...

I can't wait to see how you overcompensate for this on the 4th… Uncle Sam outfit!